Modern Foreign Languages

Modern Foreign Languages

 

WHY STUDY A MODERN FOREIGN LANGUAGE?


A modern language is unlike any other subject on the school curriculum. In a modern language lesson, the students are not learning about the language, be it French, Spanish, German or Chinese. They are learning the language itself – how to understand it, how to produce it, and how to combine elements of it to produce new conversations, answer new questions and meet new situations.
They are developing linguistic competence such as developing the skills of listening, speaking, reading and writing the target language in a range of situations and contexts. They are also developing knowledge about language, such as grammar and syntax which will aid them in other subjects like English and Irish.
Students learning a language also develop other skills: they learn about cultural awareness and develop an ability to see the world from different perspectives; they also develop creativity and problem solving as they find new ways of understanding and communicating a message.
Learning a modern foreign language can also help students in the development of their literacy skills, as well as other cross-curricular features such as numeracy and thinking skills.

WHAT IT IS LIKE TO STUDY FRENCH FOR JUNIOR CYCLE?

Some of the things you will learn include:
how to speak in the language about yourself, your family and friends, your hobbies, your school, etc. This will help you to talk to people who speak the target language.
the skills of listening to, reading and writing in the language.
the grammar of the language.
information about the countries where people speak the language, and their way of life.

WHAT CHANGES HAVE JUNIOR CYCLE REFORM HAD ON STUDYING FRENCH?

10% of the overall result will be awarded for classroom-based assessment. The remaining 90% will be awarded by State Examinations Commission.

WHAT IT IS LIKE TO STUDY FRENCH FOR LEAVING CERT?

At senior level, students will continue to develop receptive skills (reading and listening) and productive skills (written and oral) in the target language. In addition to this, opportunities may be provided to experience the culture and civilisation of France/ Spain. In the past students have enjoyed and benefitted from MFL breakfasts, quizzes, films, cinema, penpals, Easter egg hunts and trips to France/ Spain.

SPANISH

Spanish has been offered to JCSP students and Transition Year students. It is not offered at Junior Certificate or Leaving Certificate level. In TY Spanish is compulsory and we focus on conversational Spanish which will be useful for travel and going on holidays.

 

Ó Fiaich College

Ó Fiaich College is one of the most progressive, caring and dynamic educational institutions in Ireland today. The welfare and success of its students is at the centre of everything we do. We are committed to adaptation and change to deal most effectively with the requirements and challenges of 21 century Irish and world society.

Contact Information

Tel: 353 042 9331398

Fax: 353 042 9331402

Email: [email protected]

Address: Dublin Road Dundalk Co. Louth Ireland

Map: XJP5+C4 Dundalk, County Louth